Tuesday, October 1, 2013

#88 - Experience 50 Different Fruits - Two Updates!

This goal is just fun. I've found that whenever I go to the grocery now, I have to stop myself from buying too much produce, because I know it'll all end up going bad if I buy EVERYTHING that I haven't tried before...or at least everything I've never really properly paid attention to in the fruit department. Two updates here...one a total failure and one a huge success....well mostly a success.





The first one is muscadine grapes. These make me think of Matt actually. His grandfather grows them on his farm and he used to talk about them all the time, but I've never had this type of grape before and saw them for sale. The first thing I noticed was how BEAUTIFUL these are! The picture doesn't quite do them justice but they have an almost metallic sheen to them. They look like little golden orbs. Ok...well not so little, they're actually huge. That's the other thing you can't tell in the picture. Some of those grapes are as big as ping pong balls! I couldn't get over the size of them!!! I was super excited about trying these because I love grapes and imagined a big, juicy, super sweet grape.

I got home and rinsed them off and bit into one.....and spit it out immediately. They have an EXTREMELY thick skin and seeds in them too! Two things I didn't know so it freaked me out at first and I instictively just spit it out :p So I tried again...this time, I peeled the skin off the grape (it really is THAT thick) and took out the THREE seeds in the one grape. And it was just gross. Which was really sad. I can't even imagine a grape that doesn't taste good and I can't even describe the taste of these really. Obviously some people love them, but not me....I had to drink lemonade just to get the taste out of my mouth. The best way I can describe the taste is sort of melon-y (and I hate melon) and very "plant-y"...like you're eating chlorophyll. Oh well...we can't love them all.




Next up was a guava! Which I found at walmart believe it or not. Who ever thought that Walmart would carry tropical fruits! They had a tag for "starfruit" too, but sadly, they didn't have any in stock...but I'd definitely like to try out a starfruit whatever the hell that is :p I believe they have them in Kingdom Hearts the video game :p Anyway, this is what a guava looks like from the outside. I had no clue how to eat it, what to expect or anything. So I looked it up. Some people said just to eat it like an apple! And others said no, don't eat the skin. So I decided to cut it up like an apple and then cut the flesh from the skin. This is what it looks like when you cut it in half:




Isn't that gorgeous? It smelled so good too! Very nectary and very sweet. I cut it into triangles just like an apple, and then cut the skin off the bottoms and I ended up with this:




People who say to eat it like an apple are nuts! They say to eat the seeds and everything.  The seeds are hard as pebbles. I ended up having to cut the sections with seeds away too which left me with very little fruit sadly. I probably could've either blended the part of the fruit with the seeds in a food processor or just strained it and gotten some really good and sweet nectar, but I tossed it. The fruit that I ended up with was DELICIOUS!!! This was a really nice surprise. I was just sad there was so little of it. I honestly have nothing to compare it to. It was perfectly sweet and very nectar like actually....It's a pretty soft fruit and just...yum yum yum!! This would be so good served ice cold on a hot day. Definitely one I'd like to try again. Might look up some recipes or try to find something else I can do with it. I know there are some popular Mexican drinks made with Guava.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry the muscadine grapes didn't work out for you, but I must say your descriptions made me smile hugely. :D I've never had them, and now I'm kinda thinking that I'm okay with that. :P And I have to admit that I'm not much of a guava fan, though that could totally be because I've only had it from a can, which of course is nothing like eating fruit fresh. We bought star fruits a couple of times--they're delicious! (But expensive, which is why we've only had them a couple of times. :P )

    ReplyDelete