Tuesday, October 15, 2013

#113 - Walk 50 Trails Update

I found my absolute FAVORITE trail so far today. Ever since I've moved up here to Mandeville, I've been wanting to go walk the Tammany Trace. Yet I've been here over a year and still haven't done so! The St. Tammany Trace is a path that's over 40 miles long that used to be a rail road track that's since been paved. It's mainly for bikers, but people jog and walk along it as well. The beautiful thing about it is that for the most part, the whole trail goes through the woods. I'm lucky enough to live fairly close to the "Trail head" which is where they have the farmer's market every Wednesday and Saturday...there's plenty of parking, so I can drive there to start my walk...and if I ever wanted to bike it, there's a place there to rent bikes for a pretty cheap rate too!

I absolutely LOVED my walk today. After just about 1/10th of a mile, I was out of civilization and into the woods and right away the air just smells amazing and feels so good and you're just surrounded by nature on all sides aside from the paved walkway you're on. And there was barely anyone else on the trail today too! I enjoyed myself so much today that I walked the slowest miles I've walked yet :p I ended up walking 18 minute miles because I kept stopping just to take pictures of all of the beauty around me.

I'll likely go walk the Trace in a few different places, but I'm only going to count it this once. For instance, I ended up only actually walking about 1.2 miles of it today. 2.4 miles total but the same 1.2 miles there and back. Tomorrow I think I'm going to walk it in the other direction from the Trail Head which will take me in the direction of the State Park. But there are other places throughout St. Tammany Parish where you can park and get into the trace as well, so I'm going to try to do that as much as possible and just enjoy the woods :) Here are a bunch of pictures from the gorgeous walk today!










3 comments:

  1. end of horse trail? heh.. hope you didn't step in anything lol.. next time carry a bag and collect any droppings for fertilizer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I didn't go on the horse trail :p I stayed away from the horse crap :p I just liked the sign, lol. The odd thing is, the "horse trail" goes right into the woods! I was trying to figure out how the hell a horse would even navigate in there!

      Delete
  2. Sooo gorgeous!!! I can totally see why you love walking there. :D And that's great that there's several different places you can get on it to walk!

    ReplyDelete