Sunday, October 13, 2013

#42 - Read All of Stephen King's Books Update

Well I read Carrie yesterday for the readathon! Really good book and quite a fast read too! I think most people know the story of Carrie, made famous by the cult horror movie based on the novel. I have to say that the movie did a really good job of sticking with the book. But there was one thing that I noticed that the movie changed and I'm not surprised by it at all...it's typical of hollywood. In the book, Carrie is described as being pimply and overweight, though not unnattractive and even striking at times. Her mother is described as being overweight in the book too and King even describes the weight as being too much for her ankles at one point. You'd never know this watching the movies...the one from the 70's or the recent release. Carrie is a stick in both movies and her mom is skinny as well. Which made me really applaud Stephen King and love him even more. He gives us a character here who's far from perfect, certainly doesn't lead an ideal live, but even though she doesn't fit the beauty "norms", he still describes Carrie as being beautiful and striking and I can't tell you how much I loved that. I wish hollywood would embrace that too. Another note, I didn't know this before doing this project, but when I went to write out King's bibliography, I learned that this is his first novel that he published, published in 1974, followed by Salem's Lot in 1975 and The Shining in 1977...Boy did HE start his career off with a bang!

3 comments:

  1. Soooo glad you enjoyed this one, Chris! I know you've read more of his---which ones? There's so damn many that I'm guessing you still have a lot to go, right? I know I have a lot I haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'm too lazy to get the list out right now, but off the top of my head...Misery, Lisey's Story, Cell, most of The Shining...some of The Stand...I swear I've read more by him but that's all I can think of right now!

    ReplyDelete