Wednesday, October 16, 2013

#113 - Walk 50 Trails Update

Today was a nice surprise. I had a client on the southshore today, so I decided to bring my walking clothes with me (hopefully one day they will become my JOGGING clothes and then my RUNNING clothes) and decided I'd go walk at Lafrenierre park. Lafrenierre is by far my least favorite of the parks in the greater New Orleans area. Basically because it's a man made park. Most of the trees there were planted, the ponds were built, etc. It's where I used to go walking all the time though when I did walk and when I lived on the southshore because it was convenient. But today I REALLY enjoyed it. It's been probably three years since I've walked there and they've had so many beautiful ducks and swans make their home there and......chickens!! I don't think anyone really knows the story behind that exactly, but Lafrenierre park has almost become known for it's chickens down here. After hurricane Katrina, chickens showed up at Lafrenierre and since then, they're always out there :) So cute. I have to say though that they've made the park much much nicer since the last time I've been there. It used to be so damn sunny and was basically nothing but sports fields, but they've added lots of bridges and gazebos and the trees have grown in and it's gotten really nice.

Also, I got rained on for about 1 mile of my 2 mile walk today, but I have to say that it felt absolutely glorious :p And it was actually somewhat exhilarating to walk in the rain. I'm going back to work next Tuesday and I need to make sure that I keep up these walks. Not only do I feel better right now than I have in a really long time, but I know it's good for my body too. But it really does refresh the spirit just to get out there with nature. Also, I set a personal best today! This will show you how pathetic my pacing is, but I averaged 16 minutes 4 seconds per mile today walking which is the best I've done so far this go round of walking. Also, I passed 10 miles total in my walking! So now there are only 24,891.31 miles more to go before I walk the circumference of the earth :p Here are some pictures of the park today:



3 comments:

  1. gunna walk the earth?.. wow, you never cease to amaze me son! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :p It'll probably take me 20 years to do it, but that's the goal!!

      Delete
    2. Congrats on your first 10 miles!!! (Though you've probably tripled that by now.) Seems like you've got loads of parks to choose from for your walking, huh?

      Delete