Tuesday, September 24, 2013

New Goal With The First Update!

So I discovered a new goal. I love fresh fruit. I always have...nothings more delicious than a fresh piece of fruit that's still juicy and delicious. But there are so many fruits that I still haven't even tasted! And then there are fruits that I've never truly tasted. The original goal was to try 50 new fruits. Then I thought...well maybe there aren't 50 fruits out there that I haven't tried :p I started thinking of all of the weird fruits I see at Whole Foods and thought surely there are 50 but I'm still not sure. But then I thought, there are different varieties of apples that I haven't tried, etc. Still...don't know if there are 50.

However, there are certainly plenty of fruits that I've had in one form or another, but haven't truly appreciate. Like raspberries. I'm sure I've eaten them on a cake or in something, but I've never sat down and intentionally eaten fresh raspberries. Same with figs...growing up in New Orleans, everyone has a fig tree, so I know what figs taste like..hell fig newtons! But I can't recall actually ever sitting down and EATING a fig....really appreciating it. Grapefruit. I say I hate it, but I don't ever recall actually eating grapefruit :p I have no memory of actually trying it.

So what I'm officially calling the goal is "Experience 50 different fruits". And that's what I'll do. Whether I've had it before or not, this goal will be about really experiencing and appreciating the fruit that I eat.

The first fruit that I tried is something that I really have NOT had before. I wanted to start with something that was a bit of a "different" fruit. Something I've never had before and didn't think I'd ever eat. And Whole Foods is good about carrying these strange fruits so I thought I'd try a weird froot! Here's a passion fruit!


The first thing I noticed about passion fruit is that it's super light! Seriously, it feels like it has absolutely nothing inside of it. It's about the weight of a ping pong ball. And the skin is dried and wrinkled and I read that that's how you tell it's ripe. It should be dimpled. You can smell from the outside that it smells like grapefruit. The way to eat it is to cut it in half. When you do that, it looks like this:


Doesn't look all that great, huh? It's a gooey mess of pulp, juice and seeds all inside of a leathery skin. I'm actually trying to dry the skins right now though I don't know how successful that will be because they're so cool looking and they look like they'd make neat little pinch bowls :p I'm guessing this won't be too successful of a thing :p Once you slice them, you spoon out the fruit and strain it through a sieve or mesh strainer to get the fruit and juice from the seeds:


There really isn't much fruit at all in a passion "fruit". It's more passion "juice". All the websites I went on said that passion "fruit" is best served over ice cream or in a drink, so it's really something you get juice from and maybe some pulp. This isn't a fruit that you eat, it's more something you either drink or use in a recipe. It's also not something I'll have often because they are EXPENSIVE and you get about a tablespoon of juice/pulp. It costs $2.99 for one fruit. Now that's whole foods so they may be cheaper elsewhere but probably not much. 

The verdict on the taste? It would probably be good drizzled over vanilla ice cream or in a drink but by itself it was too tart for me. But I wanted to taste it by itself. It has a citrus-y flavor to me...sort of orange meets pineapple and add the sourness of a lemon. But not AS sour as a lemon. I couldn't have eaten more than one because of the tartness of it, but I think mixed with something sweet, the tartness really would've been perfect.

But it was neat to have experienced this :D Next up: a peacharine! Yep, a mix between a peach and a nectarine :D



4 comments:

  1. o.key.doh.key... so... this one I will skip LOL Interesting idea though to experience (in taste form) something new. There is, of course, the change you will absolutely love something...and without a doubt in my mind it will be Ooooooober expensive! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course when I find something I love it will cost like $5 per fruit :p

      Delete
  2. I've never had passion fruit either, and would have had NO idea how to eat/drink it without reading this. I can't believe you've never had fresh raspberries though! (And yes, you have had them--I remember I made that raspberry coffeecake I love so much when you visited--it's made with loads of raspberries.) Of course, I've still never had a pomegranate--and I definitely need to change that! Gray is totally into buying new fruits and veggies from the produce section these days. And holy crap--you should see the plans he has for our garden next year. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, like I told you in the email, I've had raspberries before..I've even had them completely fresh and uncooked on top of a cake with other berries, but I've never just eaten a raspberry by itself I don't think to really see what a raspberry tastes like! That's what this goal is all about :) Appreciating different fruits. YES! You do indeed need to try pomegranates :) I'm telling you...blend up the seeds with a banana, some ice and some honey...it's my FAVORITE smoothie! So good! And I can't wait to see Gray's plan for the garden next year :D

      Delete