Sunday, September 6, 2015

Thank Goodness For Sundays

I love Sundays. Which is funny because as a child, Sundays were days that I absolutely dreaded and I didn't think that would ever change. Sunday represented being forced to go to church which I always hated so much. To make matters worse, I was forced to be an altar boy as a child AND join choir. If that wasn't bad enough, the nun who was in charge of choir decided she really liked my voice and would make me sing solos. I've always been an extremely introverted person, so this was not a good thing. I did love that Irish nun though...Sister Ann. I'll never forget her and still think about her from time to time. I was sad when her convent reassigned her back to Ireland. She wrote to me from time to time but we lost touch in high school. In addition to church on Sundays, there was also the reminder that the next day was school. It wasn't even so much that I disliked school itself, but I was bullied a lot in elementary school for my weight and the fact that I was a "fag" even though I was nowhere near ready to come out. I was in denial myself those days.

I've often said that if I ever went back to school to get a PhD, I think I'd do my dissertation on sexuality in childhood. It's a touchy subject, but something that I think needs to be addressed more. I think things are much much better now than they were when I was a child, but there's still a great deal of work that needs to be done. I wonder what it would be like to be born now into a world where gay marriage is legal. That's pretty awesome. And it's amazing when we look at how far things have come from 34 years ago when I was brought into the world.

The bullying that happened to me when I was a kid definitely changed me as a person and that's why I'd like to do research on that. When I look at home videos of myself as a child, it's obvious that I'm gay. I don't mean to stereotype here, but it's obvious. I had limp wrist syndrome :p I walked with my hips moving from side to side, my voice had more of a lisp to it. Things that are unrecognizable to me now. I consciously changed those things and worked on them for years until they were gone because of the bullying. I changed the essence of who I was as a person because of the cruelty that others put on me. I often wonder what life would be like if I wasn't bullied. Would I be more extroverted? Would I not have such horrible social anxiety? Would I not be so conscious about my weight or the way I look? Would I have come out sooner and therefore been happier sooner? Would I find it easier to date? The answer to all of those questions is surely "yes". I hope so badly that the somewhat normalization of the lgbt experience in today's society leads to kids these days knowing that they're ok as they are and that they don't need to lose themselves at such a young age.

Wow...I did NOT plan on this post being about all that :p My original point is that Sundays are now my favorite day of that week :p It's the one day where I have no obligations for the most part aside from doing whatever *I* want to do. And it's the start of my weekend. So today has been a good day. Yesterday was awful. I didn't wake up until an hour before work and barely made it to work on time, so most of what I had planned to do yesterday went out the window. I did pay a few bills though, I worked, and I talked to Austin who said he couldn't come down to help move furniture out of my dad's house, so that left today free for me to get stuff done! I called CVS to see what meds they had for me to pick up and I told them they can keep one of them. I HATE my insurance company. My doctor had prescribed me a different triptan for my migraines called Treximet. If you have migraines, triptans are pretty much the only medication that will get rid of them. I take Maxalt most of the time and since a generic has come out, it only costs me $5 now for 9 pills. But I've been on it so long that it's becoming less and less effective. So she wanted to give me a second one. The Treximet would've cost me $119 for NINE PILLS!! Screw that. I know the medication is expensive, but seriously?

I did finally get a hair cut today and let me tell you I feel like a new person!!! I HATE when my hair gets to a certain point. It drives me nuts. I found a place here on the north shore called Sports Clips and it will definitely be my go to place for now on for hair cuts! They specialize in men's haircuts and the stylists stay up to date on the "latest cuts" for men. Their big thing is that they have tvs you can watch with sports games on while you're getting your hair cut. She did a great job and since it was my first time there, she gave me a free shampoo and shoulder massage which was awesome. They sit you in a massage chair while they're washing your hair and wrap your face in a hot towel and then use this massager to massage your back, neck and shoulders. Highly recommended!


Then I came home and got laundry done which was so badly needed. I had no clean towels and two loads of clothes that needed to be done. AND I finally changed my sheets too. It feels so good to go to bed in freshly washed sheets :) I didn't get to clean the patio today like I wanted to because it's rained all day :/ BUT I do love the rain, so I think I'll spend the rest of the afternoon reading and listening to the thunder after I do a bit of blog reading :) Oh, also I found this Indian scarf/cloth/I'm not really sure what? that I got from I don't know where? and decided to use it as a table cloth for my table that I got from my sister and finally put out my placemats too! It's so nice to finally have a dining room table after being in my apartment for 3 years :p


Finally, I got to work on my reading room some more!!! It's still a work in progress, but I'm happy with how it's coming along and it's very cozy :) Here are some pics! This is what you see when you first walk in:

I have this really awesome book of James Jean prints called Kindling that I've been using to decorate that's an AMAZING deal. He's one of my favorite artists and if you're a fan of art, this is a must have book at an incredible price. It's a collection of 12 removable prints that are nice quality and nice size for about $20. Here's a closer look at the prints above the sofa:


On side of the sofa are the "floating bookshelves" currently holding a few RIP reads with one of my favorite prints, the Holstee Manifesto, above it:


Here's a close up of the Holstee print...I love everything that they do too. Here's a link to their website, but be forewarned, you may want everything they have :p


And finally, here's what it looks like across from the sofa...this area is a work in progress. There's a lot of crap over there still. This room was pretty much a storage room before it became the reading room, so I need to work on cleaning this up some more. The goal is for that wall to eventually be a full gallery wall:


Right now it's just two James Jean prints, a Neil Gaiman print illustrated by David Mack, and a collage that Megan did for me probably 10 years ago that I really love! Here's close ups of the art work so far:


And that's my Sunday in a nutshell so far! It's nice to be able to cross some stuff off of the list. Wish I could've crossed more off the list but oh well...it is what it is. Here's hoping for a good week with nothing but great news :)

4 comments:

  1. utoh.. sorry to hear about the new meds being so expensive.. I hate insurance companies! a little suggestion: call your doctor back and tell him there's no way you can afford those pills and ask if he has any samples he could give you. They do that often when it's a newer product, and the break from you old ones for a bit might let them work better when you use them again... worth a try huh?!

    It's sure good to see your intest coming back for your apartment and in life in general. I get to see my councilor in 2 weeks and get to tell her I was so upset for a period of time I want back on my Lorazapam (Adavan). Off it again for now.

    I do NOT find your new blog boring!.. just so you know! My old blog was never meant to be just books .. it's that way now because I have nothing to write about.!! But if I should I wouldn't feel strange about using the same blog for something other than books! (reading The Lady in Black at the moment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to expensive meds :/ I hate the insurance companies too! Luckily, I have a really good doctor who's willing to give me samples like you suggested ;) She actually gave me 6 pills of the medication, which will get me through about a month of headaches, so hopefully, like you said, that will be long enough to make the old medication more effective!

      I'm glad you're seeing a counselor mama! I hope she's helping you out some. Ativan is a really good drug for anxiety so glad to hear it helps you out sometimes. I'm really sorry you had to go back on it though and that you were so upset :( Good ole life, huh? Here's to more good days for the both of us!!

      I'm glad you don't find the blog boring :p I never meant for my old blog to be only about books either, but there were just things that I wasn't completely completely comfortable writing about on there. Here I feel like it's a place where I can write about whatever I want. I had publishers that would read my other blog and it just didn't feel like a place I could write completely uncensored...I do plan on going back to it eventually though! In the meantime, I'll be here :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, your apartment is changing so much, huh? I love your "tablecloth," and totally adore your reading room! Like I said before, I so want to just come and read with you there! Just looks so comfy and cozy and yet still so classy.
    That SO SUCKS about the cost of your new prescription! That's just insane!!! How could anyone afford that?!!
    Like Pat said--this blog is far from boring! I adore it to pieces, getting to hear about all the big and little things in your life just makes it seem like you're maybe not quite so far away. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not changing TOO much, just that one room which was nothing but a storage room before :p And I know have a table finally. It's weird having a table there though! I was so used to that part of the room just being an empty space for so long! I would LOVE for you to come read with me :D

      Yep...all of the migraine medications cost that much except for two of them :/ There are only two that have generics. One of them I can't take and the other is becoming less effective for me. There's another one she's prescribed me, but that one is expensive too..it's $64 for 9 pills but that's looking like the better option :/ Drug and insurance companies really suck!

      Delete