Thursday, October 8, 2015

An Open Letter To Anyone Who May Come Across This Post

I would give anything to not be writing this post right now. I lost a friend to suicide today. I've known her since I was sixteen. Every memory I have of her is laced with laughter and a smile. And I don't say that out of respect for her memory....it's the truth. She was the girl who made everyone laugh, who put a smile on everyone's face. She struggled with addiction throughout her life, but the last time I saw her she was winning the battle. My last memory of her was seeing the Marilyn Manson and Smashing Pumpkins tour with her a couple of months ago and sharing the best bbq pork sandwich in the world passing it back and forth between bites and her telling me about her plans for the future and  talking about old times and laughing our asses off and taking pictures all night. I'm happy with my last memory of her.

But I HATE that it's my last memory of her. I'm nowhere near a place yet that I can accept that it's my last memory of her. I've been privileged enough to never have experienced suicidal thoughts myself, though I have gone through lengthy depressive episodes. I can't imagine what it's like to get to the point where it feels like the only option is to take your life. Depression is a horrible, hopeless beast. And it lies and it tells you that you're alone. It tells you that no one understands you. That no one is there for you. That you're a bother to people. That this will never end. But it does. It does end. It gets better. Sometimes it takes the help of professionals to point you in that direction and show you how it gets better. Sometimes it takes the voice of a friend. Sometimes it takes reading a blog post which is why I'm writing this right now. Know that someone is thinking of YOU even if you just googled "suicide" and came across this post. People care and there is hope and there is light in life.

Depression lies.

Since hearing the news of my friend's death, I've talked to numerous people that I haven't talked to since high school. A whole group of friends that all knew this same person...all people that are so sad to hear about her passing. These are all people who still kept in touch with her even though we haven't all kept in touch with each other. It's been a reminder of how many people there are out there. How many people there are that love and care for this person. How many people's lives she touched. Whatever she was going through didn't let her see that. Or maybe it did, but that wasn't enough.

I don't mean to be dismissive of depression here. I won't say "suicide is for cowards"...I hate when people say that. It takes a lot for someone to take their life and to get to that point mentally. I can't imagine how exhausting that has to be, how terrifying, how horribly alone and sad. I'm a licensed mental health profession who does admissions at an inpatient psychiatric hospital. I have years of experience with people who are acutely suicidal. I know how horrible of a place that is and that it's not a place that anyone would choose to be and that it feels that there is no other option at that point.

Let me tell you this. Someone always cares. I care. If you're a complete stranger to me, I care. I have had numerous people over the years tell me that I saved their lives. And I am not saying that in any way to brag and I would never share that information if it weren't for this purpose. When you feel like you are alone, like there is no one in your life that cares about you and no one you can reach out to, call a hospital. There are licensed professionals who do the same type of work that I do who do this work because we care. It's a high stress job and I promise you that's the reason we choose to stay in that job..because we're passionate about it. If you can, reach out to a family member, reach out to a friend. If you go through those options and say or feel that you don't have family or friends, you still have someone...me! Or the equivalent of me. Call a hospital and ask for an admissions counselor or just go to your nearest ER. Or if you can't do that just call 911. Help is always available and sometimes the bravest and best thing you can ever do for yourself is pick up the phone and hit three buttons and trust that it's the right thing even if it doesn't feel like its worth it. Put it in someone else's hands. For whatever reason, this friend of mine either felt she couldn't do that or was blinded by her depression and didn't think of that. Unfortunately, we will never know what happened.

Taking your life means taking away any possibility for any positives in the future. It cannot be reversed. In a depressed state, we don't tend to think about the good things in life. That's a fact. But they are there. I promise you. You're just not focused on them at all right now. Ending your life is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. And there's no problem that can't be faced, regardless of how insurmountable it feels. Once again, there's help out there for whatever you're going through. Things may not be easy to face. I won't lie and say they are, but they are rarely as ugly as depression and fear and trauma make them out to be in our heads.

Please always fight. Remember that DEPRESSION LIES. It tells great big ugly lies that feel and sound so true at the time but they are not. Somebody always cares. Someone needs you to fight. You have a beautiful life ahead of you filled with literally endless roads and possibilities and it will be so exciting to explore what those roads are and where they'll take you. The journey is just now starting. Don't slam on the brakes, refill your tank instead.

8 comments:

  1. Fiercely, yet oh-so-gently, hugging you, dear friend. I am so very, very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi....I always appreciate those hugs!

      Delete
  2. I am so deeply sorry to hear this. It is such a difficult thing, all around (I work in mental health as well and have personal experience with suicidal depression -- thankfully, not my own, but my ex -- it is not easy for anyone, not the person, not the loved ones...)-- but the loss of a friend is always deeply, acutely painful and I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not easy at all :( And it's such a helpless feeling to know after the fact the darkness that they were in. What I can hope is that it opens up a discussion for others who knew her and that people become aware that mental illness can affect anyone and it's ok to ask for help. Thanks Daphne for your sweet words!

      Delete
  3. "Remember that DEPRESSION LIES. It tells great big ugly lies that feel and sound so true at the time but they are not." This is so true, yet so hard to see when you're wrapped up in it. It's heartbreaking. I'm so, so sorry for your loss, Chris:( Sending you all my love, and I'm here if you need anything x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Ana...it is so hard to see it when you're wrapped up in it. It becomes easy to start thinking that this is just the way that the world is now and that things will never get better when they mostly do. That's what breaks my heart so much for this particular friend. She was a beacon of light in so many people's lives. Everyone's memories of her are filled with smiles and laughter. We all knew that she had depression and substance abuse issues too, but she talked about them openly with people most of the time. This was so unexpected to everyone, yet I don't think suicide is ever expected at the same time. I think she just got to a place where the darkness was too much and couldn't see through it...to a place where she had literally hundreds of people there to help her out. It just really sucks :( Thanks so much for your words and your love, Ana!! And for always being there :)

      Delete
  4. This is one of the times I just don't know what to say. I shared the FB post so maybe it will get around more to help. I doubt we will ever understand it. The rich and famous, the poor and lonely.. it's not fussy who it effects.. reaching out certainly helps, ... there is so much in this world lately that I just don't understand.. this will always be one of them.. I love you Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing that post on Facebook Mama. I think this is one of those things that no one ever understands completely unless you're there yourself. People are left with so many questions that can't be answered and people struggle with it because of that. We always will. It breaks my heart too to know that this person who I cared about so much and who gave so many people so much joy was in that much pain, even if just at that time (though I know it was surely longer than that), that this felt like her only option. I hope that we start having more open discussions about mental health issues as a country and as a planet. Like you said, there's so much of this in the world lately...it's time to turn it around and start letting people know that emotions are ok to express, to be there for one another instead of stigmatizing mental health issues and to start building up mental health resources again instead of getting rid of them. Love you too!!

      Delete